Many of the APEC economies located at the Pacific ring of the fire, as stated in the APEC Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Framework, have been suffering from damages of Tsunami disasters. The World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR), last December at the United Nations General Assembly has also adopted a resolution designating November 5th as the World Tsunami Awareness Day.
To complement the work at the global level, a half-day workshop is planning to be organized under the Emergency Preparedness Working Group at the margin of SOM3 in Lima, Peru next August 2016.
This workshop aims at identifying present tsunami related policies and challenges in relevant APEC economies and private sector by highlighting the effects over industries as well as human life. The meeting is expected to serve as a starting point for EPWG to discuss and raise an APEC wide initiative based on the APEC DRR framework to intensify anti tsunami preparedness measures through public- private partnership across the Pacific.
This workshop, aiming at sharing experiences and challenges of APEC economies facing Tsunami disasters, includes the following components:
1) A workshop will be organised back to back the coming EPWG meeting in August to identify;
a) present tsunami related policies and challenges of the relevant economies; and
b) effects over private sector and possibilities of collaboration.
2) An initial report facing Tsunami disasters will be compiled, which will serve as a basis of further steps to implement the action plan based on the APEC DRR framework.
Detail of the half day workshop:
1) Dates: August 16th, in the afternoon after EPWG (TBC)
2) Venue: Conference centre/ hotel in Lima
3) Expected participants (TBC) (working level ) consist of 20 – 30 participants in total from: Peruvian authorities; INDECI; EPWG participants (in particular, those from Tsunami affected economies are strongly encouraged to join us, namely Chili, PNG, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, NZ, USA, and Vietnam and Philippines); Embassy of Japan, JICA Peru; Private sector, ABAC, relevant International organizations
4) Provisional AGENDA
- Opening by Peruvian INDECI, Embassy of Japan, EPWC co-chairs,
- Anti Tsunami measures by APEC economies --Sharing of experiences : Peru, Japan and a few more presentations (TBC)
- Collaboration with Private sector in anti-tsunami measures
- Roundtable of the participants
- Discussion on APEC activities for anti-tsunami measures to support DRR framework
- Closing* A study visit to tsunami prevention works by INDECI/JICA near Lima will be highly appreciated.