In 2011, along with the development of multilateral economic co-operations and linkages in APEC and the need to advance economic opportunities for women in development process, a new and more comprehensive mechanism named APEC Women and the Economy Forum (WEF) was officially formed in the first Policy Dialogue on Women and the Economy initiated and held by the United States in San Francisco.
In 2016, the WEF identified the need to ensure that women’s interests were adequately represented in all APEC fora. Host economy Viet Nam proposes to develop Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming into APEC work streams. This work is designed to strengthen gender inclusion in the formulation and implementation of APEC projects, and support APEC work streams to promote gender-responsive policies and activities.
The purpose of the Gender Inclusion Guidelines for the APEC Region is to increase women’s participation across APEC economies and to support APEC fora to promote gender-responsive policies and activities.
The Guide provides guidance on how to integrate an equity-focused and gender-responsive approach to all APEC policy and projects. It includes principles based on the 1998 framework and integrates existing gender criteria (e.g., APEC Handbook) and data sources (e.g., Dashboard) and introduces gender ranking criteria and reporting mechanisms.
The Guidelines are a tool for application across APEC work streams and member economies for policy and project development and implementation: why and how to include gender, undertake gender analysis, collect sex-disaggregated data, monitor, evaluate and report. The Guide also offers a set of good practices to assist APEC and its member economies to enhance or develop effective gender-inclusive action plans.
The implementation goal of the Guide is to create an enabling environment which supports the entire policy and project process, rather than selected components, generates evidence-based data approaches and cross-fora knowledge sharing.
The Gender Inclusion Guidelines replace:
1) The Framework for the Integration of Women in APEC 1999 (http://www.apec.org/~/media/Files/Groups/GFPN/02_aggi_framewk.pdf)
2) The APEC Guidelines for Framework for the Integration of Women in APEC 2002 (http://www.apec.org/~/media/Files/Groups/GFPN/02_aggi_guides.pdf)
The Gender Inclusion Guidelines incorporate:
1) Guidebook on APEC Projects Appendix H (Edition 11) (http://www.apec.org/Projects/Forms-and-Resources)
The Gender Inclusion Guidelines utilise:
1) The Dashboard (http://publications.apec.org/publication-detail.php?pub_id=1656)
Planned project activities:
1) Project to be tabled at PPWE1, 9-10 May 2017 in Ha Noi (PPWE 1) to collect technical comments and inputs on Gender Inclusion Guidelines concept;
2) Gender Inclusion Outline to be completed by 1 June, 2017
3) National Consultation Workshop on the Gender Inclusion Outlines to collect technical comments and inputs, June 2017;
4) Draft Gender Inclusion Guidelines to be completed by June 30, 2017
5) Circulation of Gender Inclusion Guidelines to Friends of the PPWE Chair, July 2017
6) International Consultation Workshop on the Gender Inclusion Outline, August 2017 in Ha Noi
7) Second Draft of Gender Inclusion Guidelines completed and circulated to 20 economies for comments,
8) Third draft of Gender Inclusion Guidelines completed, September 2017
9) Adoption of Gender Inclusion Guidelines at HLPDWE on-29 September, Hue, Viet Nam.
Finalization of Gender Inclusion Guidelines, October 2017.