The MODEL APEC is designed to engage young leaders in APEC. It will provide a platform to unite, develop and enrich the skills of next generation of the Asia-Pacific, and get them to respond to closer regional cooperation of the Asia-Pacific.
A five-day activity will be held in August 2016 in Beijing, China. It will invite students from APEC member economies to step into the shoes of APEC officials\ministers and discuss relative issues from their knowledge of field of study. A youth initiative paper representing the view of young people will be produced by participants and handed to EDNET\ HRDWG and even to ministerial meetings. Besides, this activity will provide young people an opportunity to hear from internationally recognized speakers, and interact with senior representatives from business, academic and government over the key elements that shape the future development of the Asia-Pacific.
The MODEL APEC’s mission is to provide a high-quality and dynamic platform of interaction among students in Asia-Pacific region.
1) To gather youth from Asia-Pacific region in order to pass on the spirit of regional cooperation to youth.
2) To experience the cultural differences and promote cross culture communication in Asia-Pacific region.
3) To start an exchange of values and ideas among students for further dialogue and conversation on a higher level.
4) To pass on insights from the young generation to policy-making level and give students an opportunity to influence the policy makers.
5) To up-skill and enhance leadership of the young people.
The main events of MODEL APEC are as follows:
1) MODLE APEC Conference---MODEL AEMM: Because the AEMM6 will be held this year in Peru, education will become the focus of MODLE APEC Conference. Students from member economies will post as APEC Education Ministers of 21 economies, and discuss education cooperation and exchanges in this region from their points of view. By the end of the conference, a recommendation paper based on the outcomes from these discussions will be submitted to represent voices from the young generation.
2) Seminars and Workshops: Students will interact with speakers from government, business and academia to learn, and discuss about what’s shaping the future of the Asia Pacific.
3) Leadership Enhancement: Students will be given lectures and group tasks to learn how to enhance leadership, and their role in the future development of Asia-Pacific region.
4) Dialogues with Entrepreneurs: Students will listen to business leaders’ insights on issues of Asia-Pacific region and experience on career orientation for those who aspire to succeed in the business world.
5) Field Trips: Students will visit famous and leading companies and organizations in China, and experience how the driving force is making a difference in our life.
All member economies are invited to recommend students to participate in the program (preferably no more than 3 representatives from each economy). We welcome students who are:
1) motivated and expecting to expand their scope of knowledge beyond their immediate field of study/work.
2) intellectually engaged and curious about transpacific discussions and the process of regional economic cooperation in one of the most dynamic region of the world.
1) Stage 1 (June) : Invitation letters will be sent out
2) Stage 2 (June): Online application and registration at www.model-apec.org
3) Stage 3 (July): Meeting papers, background research and preparations of topics, guidebook and other information of conference will be sent out.
4) Stage 4 (August) Finalization and Adoption of the MODEL APEC Conference